The building that houses Stratford Playhouse started life in 1830 as two fine plaster stuccoed villa-type houses.
Later, for a short while the buildings were a school then, in 1876 they opened as Stratford-upon-Avon Convalescence Home and remained that way until 1940 when they became a maternity hospital. With the advent of the NHS in 1948 the building was sold to Stratford Corporation for office space. In 1985 the auditorium at the rear was added and the building became a community venue known as the Civic Hall.
Today Stratford Playhouse, as it is now known, is run by an independent production company, Stratford Playhouse Limited. The venue hosts a diverse range of performances and activities alongside regular community events like, Play House Sessions; Kettle On; Unplugged and the Jazz Club.